Posts Tagged dubious honour
A video (below) is being sent around of Norman Finkelstein aggressively criticising what he calls the “Solidarity Movement”, referring to the movement of people who claim “solidarity” with Palestinians. For those of you who aren’t aware, Finkelstein is a crackpot “academic” who is the son of Holocaust survivors, yet he has made a career out of downplaying the significance of the Holocaust by claiming that it was “just another genocide” and creating a conspiracy theory whereby it has been turned into some sort of “industry” to further the goals of a “Jewish elite”. Well I say “career”, he was denied academic tenure and has become pretty marginalised and discredited over the years. For more on this, see Harry’s Place HERE, Will Yakowicz HERE and Armin Rosen HERE.
As you may have guessed, Finkelstein has for a while been a poster-boy for the anti-Israel and antisemitic world. Amongst other things, he has the dubious honour of being named as one of the “good Jews” by John Mearsheimer, when Mearsheimer was distinguishing between the few righteous Jews out there and the rest. This is why his criticism of that very movement is so significant.
Note: contrary to what some have been saying, particularly in pro-Israel circles, Finkelstein was not criticising the BDS movement. In fact, Finkelstein is in favour of BDS and was quite clear about that – what he was criticising is the Solidarity movement in particular, which is the movement behind BDS but is not the same as the tactic of boycotting Israel. That said, I will use them interchangeably below, nuances aside.
Finkelstein’s flaws aside, he makes a very important point in the last five minutes, one that he is in a rare position to actually make first-hand, having been immersed in the BDS movement for years: the claim about BDS being supported by “Palestinian Civil Society” is complete rubbish. BDS is supported by a few hundred NGO’s and Unions based in Ramallah and under the direct control of the Palestinian Authority, most of which don’t seem to actually do anything except support BDS. The idea that this is “Palestinian Civil Society” is a complete propaganda exercise; these groups have no legitimacy at all in making that claim, they are all following the agenda of what amounts to a dictatorial regime.
The other important point that Finkelstein makes is that the Solidarity movement is a small, inward-looking cult whose members constantly reaffirm each other’s viewpoints and think they are duping the rest of the world, when in fact their goals are completely transparent.
For instance, he points out that while the Solidarity movement tries to maintain that it has no stance on whether they support a one or two state solution, it is quite clear that they actually support a one-state solution and Israel is not that state. This is well-documented, but it’s good to hear it from an insider – especially since, as he points out, the BDS architects “think they’re so clever” by arguing for “human rights” and “the return of refugees”.
Finally, he makes a good point about selective use of international law: despite the fact that Israel was recognised as a “Jewish state” under international law, they seek its destruction, and yet they use international law to criticise Israel’s presence in the West Bank etc. I would argue that the pro-settler Israelis demonstrate the same hypocrisy, but the status of the West Bank is far more ambiguous than the recognition of Israel.
Anyway, I did see one response to this amongst the numerous (and pretty amusing) outraged members of the Solidarity movement, so allow me to rebut that quickly:
Mr. Finkelstein criticized BDS movement of being picky about the law. He says that the law is clear. “It is also correct that Israel is a state,” he said. “If you want to use the law as a weapon to reach the public opinion you cannot be selective about the law.” UN Resolution 273 (III) admission of Israel to membership in the United Nations recalls “its resolutions of 29 November 1947 and 11 December 1948” as the basis of accepting Israel as a state. The membership of the State of Israel in the UN is dependent on their respect to resolution 194 and the right of return. UN Resolution 194 (III) article 11 states that “the refugees wishing to return to their homes…should be permitted to do so”.
This is one of the worst pseudo-legal arguments I’ve read. The funniest part is that it can be completely rebutted just by looking at the words that the author decided to omit between “return to their homes” and “should be permitted” – there was a huge qualifying “and live at peace with their neighbors” there. Kinda disqualified all of the refugees at the time, and it is now no longer “practicable” to let them all return, so there goes that argument.
anti-zionism, antisemitism, BDS, conspiracy theory, dubious honour, Holocaust, human rights, international law, John Mearsheimer, Norman Finkelstein, Palestinian Authority, Palestinian refugees, Palestinians, recognition of Israel, self-hating Jew, significance of the holocaust, solidarity movement, useful idiots, Zionism
What’s this all about?
Major Karnage is a young professional based in Sydney, Australia. He may or may not be a part of some conspiracy controlling your media, depending entirely on how inclined you are to believe those kinds of things.
This is a guide to politics, culture, fashion, music, technology, mixed martial arts, TV and whatever the hell else he finds interesting.
But mostly Middle East politics, let's be honest. Maybe a little religion/Jewish identity mixed in there.
Note: Major Karnage loves feedback. If you have any comments, you can add them to the bottom of the page (but follow the "comments policy" above) or email them:
Search This Blog
- Wow, perfect weather to sit and watch Fox News all day #FairAndBalanced 4 weeks ago
- Boston Bombings: looks like Tamerlan and Dzhokhar were homegrown terrorists majorkarnage.net/2013/04/19/bos… #Boston #Watertown #Terrorists 4 weeks ago
- Boston Bombings: looks like Tamerlan and Dzhokhar were homegrown terrorists wp.me/p1hgM0-wp 4 weeks ago
- Boston Bombing: Alan Jones was right!!! wp.me/p1hgM0-wh 4 weeks ago
- Roger Ebert, the Walking Dead, and the decline and fall of Fairfax Media wp.me/p1hgM0-w9 1 month ago
- Gawker blogger gawks at high school teen's humour wp.me/p1hgM0-w7 1 month ago
- How the 'Kashrut Racket' drives Jews away from practicing Judaism wp.me/p1hgM0-vW 1 month ago
- Reshuffling the gargantuan cabinet wp.me/p1hgM0-vT 1 month ago
- Five reasons why everything you have heard about the Israeli election results is wrong wp.me/p1hgM0-vK 3 months ago
- Bahahaha wp.me/s1hgM0-bahahaha 4 months ago
What’s In My Head?ALP anti-Semitism antisemitism Australia Australian politics BDS current-events democracy economics Egypt facebook feminism Foreign Policy free speech Gaza Greens Hamas human rights Iran Islam Islamism Israel Jews Labor Libya Mahmoud Abbas media Middle East Muslim Brotherhood Palestinian Authority Palestinians peace process politics racism religion settlements Syria terror terrorism twitter UN US West Bank women Zionism
Most Recent Posting
- Boston Bombings: looks like Tamerlan and Dzhokhar were homegrown terrorists
- Boston Bombing: Alan Jones was right!!!
- Roger Ebert, the Walking Dead, and the decline and fall of Fairfax Media
- Gawker blogger gawks at high school teen’s humour
- How the ‘Kashrut Racket’ drives Jews away from practicing Judaism
- Reshuffling the gargantuan cabinet
- Five reasons why everything you have heard about the Israeli election results is wrong
- Is Christmas offensive? A non-Christian perspective
- Did the left give up on Israel or did Israel give up on the left?
- April 2013
- March 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
Top Posts & Pages
- Brilliant sex ed photo
- How the 'Kashrut Racket' drives Jews away from practicing Judaism
- Gawker blogger gawks at high school teen's humour
- Boston Bombing: Alan Jones was right!!!
- In defence of Yom Kippur
- Gina Rinehart and how self-styled "progressives" are keeping the boardroom male
- Why books are dying (and it's not just the Kindle)
- Song of the week: Mashrou' Leila - 3ubwa
- Why I care about fashion and so should you